Importing car to Japan checklist
This is my importing car to Japan checklist. Now that my car has cleared customs, it’s going to be making a bunch of trips to different locations on a flatbed truck, which I’ve hired my consignee to do for me.
- Acceleration Noise Examination – before shipping the car, I received 4 quotes from different companies to perform the following services. They varied in price from 180000 yen to 300000 yen. I believe that some car companies outsourced this service. They were transparent with this service. I don’t really know what the dB levels are supposed to be. But car is mostly stock. This sits at the facility for about 5-7 days.
- Accelerating vehicle noise
- Cruising vehicle noise
- Stationary vehicle noise
- Emissions Examination – this price ranged from 180000 yen to 480000 yen. Apparently some companies can use other similar car reports IF fully stock. Paperwork however needs to be converted to a different owner. To me changing ownership of the car is shady, so I avoided this. Also, why don’t they combine noise and exhaust?
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport – This fee was 180000 yen. Essentially they check car safety. Brakes, lights, headlights, etc.
I wasn’t able to find any site which had the actual charges from the government. I’d probably cry if I found the real fees, and not the inflated ones I’ve been given.
Total Inspection Fees
- Car transport – to and from storage area to 3 inspection facilities – 50000 yen
- Noise test – 100000 yen
- Exhaust test – 217350 yen
- Safety test (Ministry of Land) – 180000 yen
- Fees for documents – 25000 yen
- Misc parts – 10000 yen
- 8% taxes on top of everything
Total fees for inspection is around 650000 yen.
- Car Licenese/Insurance
- Car parking registration
- I’m not sure. I’m really numb from this situation.