Japan Trusted Traveler Program
So I’m already happy with the Japanese immigration at the airports because residents have the “re-entry” lane. But I was really curious about the Japan Trusted Traveler Program that has been offered recently in 2017. This utilizes the automatic gates at immigration, and speeds up customs clearing!
From reading their requirements, I’m totally eligible for applying. However there was only one difference. I was already holding a residents card.
For regular people not holding the residents card, the requirements are:
- Short stays or sightseeing
- At least been to Japan twice in the last 12 calendar months
- Haven’t been deported from Japan before
- Must be working for a company for the last year. Basically to prove that you’re not going to look for a job in Japan
- Not be a criminal in Japan or any other country
Since I already was a resident, I was told to go to apply for the regular automated gates. The link was here:
Kansai Airport Locations
- Inside the CIQ PR room of the departure lobby for international flights on the 4th floor of Terminal 1 8:00 – 21:00
- North and south departure examination areas on the 3rd floor of Terminal 1 (see note 1) 8:00 – 21:00
- North and south landing examination areas on the 2nd floor of Terminal 1 8:00 -16:00
- Departure examination area of Terminal 2 (see note 1) 8:00 -16:00
- Landing examination area of Terminal 2 8:00 -16:00
Since I’ll be flying through Kansai International Airport, I’ll apply outside of the terminal at T1 on level 4. I’ll be pressed for time, so I won’t have time to look around in departure gates.
The only unclear point is:
※Previously registered foreign nationals who intend to depart from Japan with a special re-entry permit have to re-register to ensure compatibility with the special re-entry permit.
I’ve got my application all filled out and ready to go. Wish me luck.